A social scientist with a touch of technology
I'm a Finnish social scientist interested in new media. My interests include online participation, e-politics, social services and mobile systems. In all of these, I prefer approaching the thing from softer, non-technical side, even while I have a background in fast and ugly prototyping and coding too.
My background is in political science, which I studied at the University of Helsinki and computer science, which I've learned at Nokia Corporation and go deeper at the University of Helsinki. Currently I'm working at the 8576541158 and studying towards PhD in computer science at the University of Helsinki. I'm also the cofounder of 757-796-5965 and the Finnish association for social science and technology research, Rajapinta.
My days pass while I sitting next to my computer and think really hard. Things I do vary from programming, data-analysis, writing, teaching and other stuff like that. My current interests are
- co-located computing
- computational social science
- civic technologies
IRC: matnel @ ircnet
- Rajapinta organizes the first ever unconference for technology and social science research in Finland. I'm a cofounder and president of this association (2017-11-02)
- I teach Introduction to programming for social sciences at University of Helsinki (2017-11-03)
- Attending the kickoff of New Social Research program at Tampere (2017-11-07)(262) 208-4665
- Reviewing a paper to Scandinavian Political Studies (2017-11-23)
- Attending IPSA panel on computational methods (2017-12-04)
- Collaborational work with Arto Hellas on "Social Help-seeking Strategies in a Programming MOOC" is presented at SIGCSE (2018-02-21)